Dragon Fire Alpha X Structural Firefighting Glove
Editor’s note: Some of the details originally in this post were outdated. We made the corrections and therefore changed the score to reflect our thoughts on the correct details of the glove.
We’ve recently had the opportunity to review several structural firefighting gloves. I’ve actually been wearing two different gloves at the same time, one on each hand.
The Dragon Fire Alpha X is one of the gloves I’ve been wearing.
I really like this glove! Several things about the Dragon Fire glove stand out in my opinion.
The first is the fit. Dragon Fire offers sizes from XXSmall to XXXLarge. I have a small, thin hand and this range of sizes allowed me to get a glove that fit my hand. The glove has an elastic comfort-fit band near the cuff allowing for added protection, comfort and easy on/off. I chose the shorter glove because my coat has wrist-lets. It was a good combination / fit that did not scrunch or bulk the cuff area of my sleeve. It also covered my lower arm, wrist area providing full protection. (Dragon Fire also offers the Alpha Glove with wrist-lets for those without them on their coat)
Dragon Fire also offers many other “task specific” type gloves.
The second is it’s comfort. The Dragon Fire glove is thinner than most traditional firefighting gloves yet still offers a level of protection that exceeds NFPA standards.The fingers had a good fit and were not bulky. This allowed for good dexterity and “feel”.The finger tips and palm have extra padding / support.I liked the fact that the additional palm support was at an angle (vs. perpendicular). This covers the actual “working” area of the palm when swinging or pulling a tool.They use an exclusive Kovenex liner and extreme bond liner retention system. Even wet, the glove comes on and off with ease.They are also constructed of Premium Italian Leather, they are soft yet durable allowing for increased comfort and reduced hand fatigue.
The Fire Critic Says:
In addition to agreeing with what Captain Wines has stated…These gloves are a little bit cheaper in price than most of the “premium” firefighting gloves offered by glove manufacturers. This is a great point because these gloves are very much a premium glove. The gloves are roomy inside (I am wearing the correct size) making the donning and doffing easy even when wet. The thinner softer materials used are conducive to getting full movement out of your hands. I have read some other reviews stating that the breath-ability of these gloves have been an issue when hot and wet. I have not experienced this issue.
I will also say that I have bumped into the guys from Dragon Fire numerous times at shows. These guys are great to hang out with and ask questions. They are a wealth of knowledge on firefighting gloves especially their own!
The gloves come with a glove strap and bag for safe keeping…all for the price which is a little lower than some other premium firefighting gloves.
Captain Wines and I have met with the guys from Dragon Fire at numerous Firefighting Shows. They are committed to bringing the traditional, passionate firefighting mentality back to the job. They maintain that their gloves are ”Not for the Weak” and “Worn with Pride”.
Here is some more information on the Dragon Fire ALPHA X Structural Fire Fighting Glove
✴ Full and complete natural leather outer shell
- premium Italian top grain cow and swine hide
- no fabric utilized on outer shell
- unequaled wet grip strength
- strategic wear and grip pads on finger tips / thumb
- excellent cut / rip / abrasion resistance
- overall anatomically correct ergonomic design
✴ Thermal urethane vapor barrier
- proprietary formulation specifically designed for the fire service
- robotic welded seams (not glued)
- 350% elongation prior to burst (memory free performance)
- degradation (melt point) well above NFPA requirements
- superior liquid penetration resistance
- multiple sizes to accommodate various glove sizing
✴ Kovenex thermal liner
✴ Unique features
- extreme dexterity with no sacrifice of protection
- glove refuses to harden or stiffen and remains soft / pliable after repeated use
- glove conforms and takes on unique hand signature of user after repeated use
- hand is effortlessly able to be inserted and removed when glove and or hand is wet or sweaty
- liner remains intact (no pull out) and is guaranteed
- critical palm and back of hand (greater knuckle region) have highest obtainable certification TPP rating of greater than 60
- all sizes and configurations in stock and ready to ship
- each pair packaged with versatile reusable utility bag
- wristlet option available